Writing is essentially an individual activity. For many of us (especially me), being alone is the only way I can write. However, a successful writer usually does not achieve success alone. There are critique partners, beta readers, agents, editors, and chapter members who support and contribute to the process and mental well-being of every author.
Writers Conferences are a great way to connect with other writers and learn about the ever evolving business of writing.
Top 5 Reasons to Attend a Writers Conference
1. Meet other writers. No one else will understand when you talk about the "voices in your head not letting you finish this manuscript." With others, you might end up in a 48-hour psych hold.
2. Learn from experts. Consider the speakers above. Both are multi-published authors with tons of experience. Publishing changes all the time. Avoid the pitfalls by learning from others.
3. Learn what editors and agents look for. The first page has to hook the editor or agent. Not to mention a reader. The panel of editors and agents will comment on a limited number of submissions.
4. Pitch your manuscript to editors. Many conferences will provide opportunities to pitch your finished work to acquiring editors and agents. Local conferences allow a little more relaxed experience, with other writers just as nervous.
My first pitch was a forced march by a writer friend to an editor who gently walked me through the pitch process. My take away: come prepared with a rehearsed speech but remember editors are people, too. Connecting with them on a human level is equally as important.
5. Take notes. Yes, I know. We're in the digital age. But if you have a life and don't have an eidetic memory, you probably need to jot down notes of things you need to do. Paper or device, write down ideas that will make you more successful.
If you live near Williamsburg, Virginia, Chesapeake Romance Writers is hosting a conference March 5, 2016 at the Regional Library. We are a relaxed, fun, and supportive group of writers and we'd love to meet you. Whether you need a chapter or are ready to pitch your manuscript, we invite you to join us. Register here.
Here is the schedule:
Shifters & Spice (e-book 99 cents!)
Romance writer. Paranormal and contemporary. Mother of two and wife of perfect husband. Love the environment, travel and reading.
Blogs I Follow